Saturday 12 May 2012

An Abundance of Katherines - John Green (2006)

3.5 stars

I read this book because it's by John Green, one of our great nerdfighting gods.

I didn't like this book as much as the fault in our stars or paper towns but I still found it easy to read and pretty interesting. I thought it might have too much maths in it for other readers that aren't nerdfighters, although he does put all of it in the footnotes and appendix which he says are optional so don't count, but it is still the one of the main plotpoints of the story.Whenever I read a John Green book I love the nerdfighting references that he slips in (in this book he payed homage to Willy with Katherine XIX having a dog called Fireball Roberts, among other things) that would pass over most people's heads. My favourite character in this book is Hassan, I thought he was a really lovely character and John had written him perfectly to balance how annoying Colin is. I would recommend this book to any teenager that likes teen drama and romance.


Colin Singleton has dated and been dumped by nineteen Katherines. When Katherine XIX breaks up with him he is severly depressed, so his best friend Hassan suggests a road trip. They end up staying in Gutshot, Tennessee with Lindsey Lee Wells. Colin tries to make an equation to predict how relationships will end, which he successfully does that works for all the Katherines. He learns, however that it can't predict the future, only explain the past, and after an eventful two weeks in Gutshot, he starts dating Lindsey.

No comments:

Post a Comment