Saturday 21 January 2012

The Help - Kathryn Stockett (2009)

The same friend that bought me Glow for my birthday bought me this as well and I can't believe that she got two amazing books in one shop when sometimes I struggle to find any that even look appealing these days.

I thought this book was wonderful, it had a clever idea behind it and was written extremely well, I completely understand how this was a bestseller and a movie. My favourite character was definitely Aibileen, I thought she was lovely, gentle and had a great storyline, from her son Treelore to Mae Mobley. I also admired Skeeter, however I found her story with Stuart was quite tedious at times.


Minny and Aibileen are coloured maids working in Jackson, Mississippi in 1962. Skeeter Phelan is an aspiring journalist and a white woman who is part of the high class circle that these maids work for. When Skeeter gets fed up with how some of her friends are treating the maids, she decides to write a book of interviews of the maids to show some of the ups and downs that they have to deal with. Skeeter becomes good friends with Aibileen but they struggle to get more maids to help them with the book, however after Aibileen gets her best friend Minny on board she helps them get ten other maids for the book. The book gets published and doesn't get much attention for a while, but after its reviewed on television all the ladies in Jackson read it and Skeeter gets a job in New York. Minny is then assurred that she will always have her job with Celia, however Hilly makes sure that Aibileen gets fired.

No comments:

Post a Comment